In an attempt to curb a cold, I thought whipping up some soup might do the trick. I’m pretty sick of chicken noodle soup. So I decided to try something different. Freekeh.
For those who don’t know what Freekeh is … it’s not freaky. It’s basically a type of green wheat that goes through a roasting process in its production. It’s very healthy and very popular in the areas of the Levant, Arabian Peninsula and found in North African and Egyptian cuisine.
- 3 pieces Skinless Chicken Breast
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Seven Spice
- Salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 cup Freekeh
- Prepare the chicken stock by sauteeing the onion with olive oil in a medium saucepan until translucent.
- Add the chicken and cover with water (to desired amount). Add salt to taste and boil for about 20 minutes.
- Drain. Do not discard the chicken water. Set it aside.
- Meanwhile, pick out the stones from the freekeh, wash with lukewarm water and then soak in water until ready.
- In a medium saucepan, boil the freekeh with fresh water. Once the water is absorbed, add the chicken stock and simmer on medium-low until the freekeh is soft.
Nutrition Information: Cals 106. Carbs 2g, Fat 1g. Protein 1g. Sodium 58mg.