I intended to get back to working out, and running (indoors, on a treadmill with TV access). And then, pretty much right after the New Year, I came down with something. A cold, the flu, a virus, I’m just not sure what it is, but I can’t seem to kick it. Added bonus, it’s the coldest it’s been in the U.S. in 20 years! They’re calling it a Polar Vortex. Polar Vortex … who comes up with these terms? They’re absolutely brilliant, but I wonder if there isn’t some meteorologist somewhere with a list of clever names for weather disasters who pulls it out when the time is right. Anyway, we get hit with this Polar Vortex — where no joke, it’s a high of 5 degrees Fahrenheit — which doesn’t quite help the sickness situation. It doesn’t help any situation quite honestly when all you really want to do is hibernate by the heater and watch TV all day. Needless to say, my new years resolution to start working out again (like 99.9% of Americans) has been put on the back burner for now… just until I start to feel well enough to make it through an 8 hour workday without incident.
All this time spent in the house can get really boring. Therefore, I picked up a few new TV shows:
- Season 2 of MBC’s The Voice – the Arabic one, which is essentially like the American Voice, but with Arabic music stars as judges, airs on Saturdays from 1pm-3pm ET
- Yasmeen – a Turkish love story soap opera set in early 1960s Turkey that airs at 6pm ET every weeknight
- Season 2 of Female – a Jordanian sitcom featuring Tema Al Shomali. I’ve been watching this one via YouTube
And, of course, I had time to make food. Sure, I can’t taste everything but I still wanted to eat and I’ve been looking forward to this stuffed flank steak recipe since I drafted this week’s menu. It looked amazing, even before it went into the oven. I decided to roast some asparagus on the side, tossed in a little bit of olive oil, and just pulled them out before I set the oven to broil.
Adapted From Family Circle
- 1 Flank Steak (1.5-2lbs)
- 1 16oz package Frozen Chopped Spinach
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 7oz Roasted Red Peppers, drained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons Italian style bread crumbs
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons Garlic Salt
- 2 teaspoons Ground Black Pepper
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- Preheat the oven to 425 F
- Lay the flank steak on a large cutting board
- Using a sharp knife, cute the flank steak in half by starting on the long side and carefully pulling the steak apart
- Open up the steak like a book and using a meat pounder, flatten the steak to an even thickness (or as even as you can)
- Defrost the spinach and squeeze as much of the liquid out as you can
- In a medium bowl combine the spinach, blue cheese, egg yolk, 1 teaspoon garlic salt, breadcrumbs, and black pepper until mixed well
- Season the steak with the 1/2 teaspoon of garlic salt and pepper
- Lay the filling on the opened steak, and press firmly. Leave about 1/2 inch around the edges
- Roll up the steak starting on the short end
- Tie the steak together with twine at about 2 inch spaces
- Rub with olive oil and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt and pepper
- Bake for 35 minutes
- Then broil on high for 10 minutes
- Remove from oven and allow the meat to rest for 15 minutes before cutting the twine and serving
- Nutrition Information: Cals 371. Carbs 6g. Fat 16g. Protein 38g.
For more easy recipes by Miss Measurement, sign up for email updates.