At the Fayyad household, when the one doing the cooking goes on a diet, everyone goes on diet– whether they like it or not. Diet is a harsh word. Really, it’s making healthier food choices; in essence cutting the processed foods, oils and sugars.
I’m conscious of the boys, who require carbs to feel full. They made it pretty obvious that the diet menu isn’t going to work for them when I whipped up salmon burgers, sans burger buns. There were looks of confusion, “why would you make burgers without burger buns,” was uttered multiple times as the table was being set and a mad scramble to find any kind of bread to accompany the patties. Out of burger buns, they settled on toasted, sliced bread. I did throw shoestring fries in the oven for them, thinking that would be enough processed food for them not to realize that I was feeding them healthy food.
Just because we’re making healthier food choices, doesn’t mean we have to sacrifice flavor. I need to love the food I’m eating, otherwise, I’ll go right back to everything bad for me. One of my favorite things to eat when I’m watching what I eat is seafood –no pun intended. I love everything seafood [don’t get me started on grilled whole fish, crab legs, mussels and oysters]. It’s light, it’s not too filling if you skip the bread, and fish is packed with flavor if you spice it right.
- 2 lbs Salmon Filet, skin removed
- 1 Garlic Clove, minced
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 Egg Whites
- ¼ cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- ¼ cup Italian Bread Crumbs
- 1 tablespoons Cilantro, chopped
- Cut the salmon filet into 1 inch squares
- In two batches, put the salmon into a food processor and pulse 6-7 times to grind coarsely
- In a large bowl, mix together the garlic, onion, bread crumbs, panko, cilantro, Dijon mustard and egg whites
- Add the ground salmon and mix together with your hands
- Heat up your favorite grill, then begin forming patties with the mix
- Grill until cooked through
- Serve over arugula and with avocado slices
For more easy recipes by Miss Measurement, sign up for email updates.