I’ve always heard about the wonders of the crock pot. I’ve seen countless Pinterest Pins about easy crock pot meals. I’ve even heard stories about how great it is to just throw all the ingredients in there, turn it on for the day, go to work and have basically a ready meal once you get home. But I’ve never actually used a crock pot before in my life! Shocking, I know.
It’s not that I never wanted to, I guess I was always a little anxious. “What if I do it wrong?” “What if it doesn’t turn out?” “Is it really going to taste good if I just throw the ingredients in there and walk away?” That’s the internal dialogue I’ve had with myself in the past about using the crock pot.
It wasn’t until I was feeling a little adventurous that I invited the Taco Tuesday Crew (TTC for short) over for TT at my house, that I seriously considered toying with this foreign contraption. The TTC was formed about two years ago. It started off with just four girls who wanted to get together for some Mexican. And ever since then, it’s become a weekly tradition. It’s girl time, it’s where we catch up and vent and share major life events, and opinions without judgment. It’s more than just tacos on a Tuesday night. We spent a little over a year going to Café Rio because we’re obsessed with their roast beef. That’s where I got the idea to try it out myself. I think I could seriously compete with Rio – if I do say so myself!
Note to self: use the crockpot more often. It’s like magic.
- 2-3 lbs Boneless Chuck Roast Beef
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons Smoked Paprika
- 1 tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 tablespoon Cumin
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 cup Low Sodium Beef Broth
- 1 tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 1 Chipotle Pepper in Adobo Sauce
- Salt, to taste
- In a small bowl, mix together the chili powder, smoked paprika and cumin
- Rub the roast with the spices, covering the surface
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and sear the roast on all sides (about 2-3 minutes each)
- Carefully remove from the skillet and place in the crockpot
- In a separate bowl, mix together 1 tablespoon tomato paste with 1 cup beef broth
- Add the garlic, onions, Chipotle pepper, remaining tablespoon of olive oil, beef broth mixture and salt to the crock pot
- Cook on low for 7-9 hours, until the beef is tender
- Once it’s done, use two forks to shred the meat
- Serve with your favorite taco trimmings