It’s been a lazy Sunday. So lazy, in fact, that I’m still in my PJs and rocking my top bun and glasses at approximately 3:48pm. It’s only a matter of minutes before the sun sets and I enter pre-Monday mode.
Pre-Monday is my least favorite time of the week. It’s the time after the sun sets before Monday morning when you realize you’ve wasted an entire day doing nothing. Or maybe you had a productive Sunday, or a fun Sunday filled with adventure. In any case, Pre-Monday is when you start thinking about everything you need to accomplish by the time your dreaded alarm rings and wakes you out of slumber.
I really did intend to leave the house. I planned shower, get dressed and spend the afternoon sipping Turkish coffee with my Tayta. Then I would hear the wind gusts against the sides of the house, and watch the trees sway back and forth with furry and change my mind.
It wasn’t a total waste, though. Besides watching Toy Story 2, Cat in the Hat and The Pacifier (all on TBS, in case you were wondering), I also baked a batch of Cardamom Cookies.
When I read spiced cookie recipes, I find that people aren’t very generous with the spices they add in. ½ teaspoon of anything really isn’t going to add the flavor your looking for. For these cardamom cookies, I altered my Ghraybeh recipe and added a lot more cardamom. I’m talking 1-2 teaspoons ground Cardamom. It might seem like a lot, but I promise you will thank me when the house smells great and your cookies taste perfectly spiced.
To the think about this cookie recipe is that the cookies only slightly expand. Leave enough room for the expansion, but know that generally the size and shape you place on the baking tray is what you’re going to get. Enjoy!
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 sprinkle of Salt
- 1-2 teaspoons Ground Cardamom
- Place the baking rack in the middle of the oven and Preheat oven to 300 F
- In a stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar on medium speed for 5 minutes (or until the color of the mixture is a light yellow)
- Add Salt
- Slowly add the flour and Cardamom and blend on medium speed until smooth
- Form the cookie dough into rounds (or your favorite shape)
- Place cookies on a baking sheet and bake on the top or middle rack for 20-25 minutes. Do Not Brown.
- Allow to cool before serving