Rise and Shine! It’s breakfast time. Get a hold of these Banana Walnut Orange Blossom Muffins to start your day. You won’t be disappointed. The muffins are loaded with bananas, walnuts and Orange blossom Water (my not-so-secret ingredient).
My best recipes come to me when I see an ingredient in dire need of being used. I’ve shared with you before a recipe for Banana Bread. It’s a total hit in our house. I really wanted to come up with something better than just your average banana bread. That seems pretty standard, right? Bad bananas means bake banana bread. Then I got to thinking about my favorite Middle Eastern sweets and decided to fuse the two together. If you’ve ever made qatayef with walnuts (قطايف), you know that the pancake stuffing consists of walnuts, white sugar, cinnamon and orange blossom water. Add to banana muffins and you have a one-of-a-kind sweet breakfast treat.
Speaking of Qatayef … isn’t Ramadan right around the corner? There will be plenty of walnut and cheese filled sweets to go around for 30 days and 30 nights. Okay, if we’re lucky, 29 days.
Tell me I’m not the only person this happens to. I buy bananas green and then all of a sudden they become dark brown before I get the chance to use them up. Well, my mom’s been really good about using up the bananas. She makes whole grain Belgian waffles and tops them with banana slices. I’m drooling just thinking about it.
This last batch of bananas was pretty strange. I bought them when they were green. I swear to you they never turned that bright yellow color. They just went straight from green to brown, almost overnight.
- 1 cup Walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 5 tablespoons White Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
- 3 Tablespoons Orange Blossom Water
- 4 Medium Bananas
- 1 ½ cups All Purpose Flour
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ cup Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1 large Egg
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Line your muffin pan with paper muffin cups
- In a small bowl, combine the chopped walnuts, cinnamon, white sugar and orange blossom water and set aside
- In a separate, medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, brown sugar and salt, and set aside
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, or a large bowl, add the mashed bananas, egg, and butter. Beat until thickened (you can use a hand-held beater as well)
- Slowly add the dry ingredients, continue beating until combined, 1-2 minutes
- Stir in the cinnamon walnut mixture
- Spoon the batter into you muffin cups, filling about 1/3 to 3/4 way up
- Bake on the middle rack for 18-20 mins
- Cool on a wire rack and then serve